Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Heart Meatballs

So I love me some meatballs; not as much as some people I know (wink wink), but I do love them. More generally, I love Italian food. I grew up eating the stuff basically every night but as the California culinary scene so did my tastes. I now have a much more broad palet and rarely seek out Italian restaurants.
In Ariel's and my search for a wedding caterer I must admit I was surprised when A.G. Ferrari was an option. Our venue the Brazilian Room has a list of 8 or so caterers you have to choose from and the Italian deli was one of them. I remember eating there occasionally in Corte Madera when growing up and enjoying the food, but I never imagined that they might cater the most important event of my life.
On our last trip to the Bay Ariel and I tried five different caterers. Many were good, but they lacked the oomph that we were looking for. Each caterer had as many weak dishes as good ones. The only one that really stood out was AGF. All of the appetizers were delicious, as were the entrees and desserts, and the only menu items where they came up short were the easiest to fix: the salad and the grilled veggies. We tweaked the veggie selection to our liking and added some items to the salad to make it more in line with the food we love. The salmon (with a crispy bottom) and the bruschetta appetizers were particularly excellent.
We haven't booked AGF yet (we have booked our photog, florist, and DJ) because we still want to perfect the menu, but once we get them dialed in we will be that much closer to the big day.

1 comment: