Friday, February 12, 2010

My Snow Boots - Keen Summit County


I began shopping for snow boots in anticipation of a winter backpacking trip in the fall. While the trip didn't materialize until mid-January I had these boots under the bed for a few months. One thing I have learned about Keen boots is you can pull them right out of the box, slip in your Superfeet, and hit the trail. Before my snowshoe trip (with the broken snowshoes documented here) I had worn these boots for all of an hour inside my apartment. I then wore them for an additional 30 minutes the night before our departure. But when I threw them on the next morning they performed beautifully.
I have never owned a pair of snow boots so this was virigin territory for me. Based on reviews at the REI website and the fact Keens just fit my feet I figured these would be a solid option for snowshoeing. These boots were very comfortable right out of the box and I didn't have any blisters or soreness after our first day of hiking that covered 4 miles and 2000 ft of altitude gain. At night, as temperatures dipped into the 20's and we were stuck milling about in our snow surrounded camp, my toes did start to go numb. These boots could use more than the 350 gram KEEN.WARM insulation, especially in the toes. The toes did stay completely dry at all times, which is the most important thing, and the comfort can't be beat.
I now have three pairs of Keens - these winter boots, the Targhee II Mids, and the Arroyo IIs for water wear. The Targhees are my go to boots for all hiking. They are the most comfortable shoes I own, have the wide toebox I need, and lace up just right. They have been up Mt. Whitney (no blisters after 22 miles in one day) and have also been on a hike where I was basically walking through a river for 4 miles. They can do everything. The rubber knobbies have started to come off the shoe but they have yet to fully detach. This is a very common occurrence with Keen and from what I have read the only real problem with any of their shoes. I still recommend these to everyone with a foot shaped similar to mine.
And full disclosure, I have yet to wear the Arroyo IIs after buying them on sale. Hopefully I can find a wet hike or a warm rafting trip to wear them on in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. How am I to know if my foot is shaped like yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can upload a picture if you would like, or you can try on the shoes and find out.

    ReplyDelete