Monday, February 1, 2010

Broken Embraces (Los abrazos rotos)


Ariel, Kristen and I went to see Broken Embraces at the Arclight Hollywood the other day. Since this is a Pedro Almodovar movie I was optomistic (I thoroughly enjoyed Volver) but as the movie progressed I realized the plot was dull and predictable. The story is told in series of flashbacks that are not very enthralling. You know exactly what is going to happen from the start and the twist at the end was so obvious I was insulted the writer (also Almodovar) considered it might catch people off guard. I was ready to walk out at the one and a half hour mark and the 127 minute runtime was way too long.
There were two things that did hold my interest though - the male lead Lluis Homar who was amazing and Penelope Cruz. It was not Penelope's best work, but she did fine and also managed to disrobe briefly. Homar stole every scene he was in and played both old and young Mateo Blanco convincingly. I will be on the lookout for more movies featuring him.

No comments:

Post a Comment