Thursday, January 28, 2010

LA Radio is shit


I have lived in Los Angeles for over 8 years and the city has really grown on me. It lacks the verdant greenery I grew up with, has crippling traffic, and a brown miasma from the cars blanketing the streets. It does bring diversity, many amazing neighborhoods, great restaurants, the ocean, the weather, and nature that IS accessible. But for some unknown reason, this metropolis can't seem to get its radio airwaves in line.
I am at a point in my life where I feel that basically all mainstream music sucks. This rules out stations like K-Rock (106.7) and all of the other pop stations whose callsigns I don't know. I am sick of the "classic rock" stations which never seem to have any songs added into their libraries (so 95.5 is out). And JACK, whch plays "what they want" certainly does not play what I want (93.1 is crap).
So what is left? Two stations stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest: KCRW (89.9) and KXLU (88.9). KCRW plays all of the NPR news for the day, has many of its own programs, and has a plethora of skilled, interesting and diverse DJs. Morning Becomes Eclectic (from 9 to 12 on weekdays) is particularly good at finding up-and-coming acts. KXLU plays all of the music you will never find at a record store but may find on iTunes. Their DJs have zero on air charisma but bang out sets that will blow your mind. Almost every morning I found myself listening to something new and interesting that I will most likely never hear again. The only problem with KXLU is trying to compare the setlists on the website with the vague recollection you have of the DJ mumbling title and then trying to find the music online.
Honorable Mention:
KJAZZ (88.1) When you are in a blues or jazz mood
KPCC (89.3) More NPR for when you have heard the KCRW news already

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you'll admit that the City of Angels is growing on you.

    ReplyDelete